- Heat the oven to 170°C (gas mark 3). Grease a medium-sized loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process, using the pulse action, until smooth. Be careful not to over process the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake in the oven for about 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top of the bread is firm to the touch and golden brown. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve dusted with icing sugar.
The banana bread is great freshly baked, but is also terrific when stored for a day or two and then sliced, toasted and spread with butter. Add a pinch or two of spice if desired – ground cardamom or mixed spice are good.
- 210g (7oz) plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 125ml (4fl oz) buttermilk or regular milk soured with squeeze of lemon